Francesca Lia Block is the author of Weetzie Bat a YA novel that is an absolute cult sensation and the ultimate punk rock fairy tale. Since writing that story when she was a student at UCLA, Francesca has published more than 25 books. She also teaches writing online and in LA and she's always collaborating with other creatives to create cool new projects. I love how Francesca's books weave magic into the fabric of everyday life and they all speak to the healing powers of art an love. I've read Weetzie Bat and the other Dangerous Angels books more times than I can count. Reading her stories growing up had such a profound impact on me. They shaped my personal style and my desire to cultivate a beautiful, adventurous, magical life. It was so exciting to interview her and she offered so many interesting insights to dig into.
In this episode you'll hear about:
- Francesca's journey to becoming a writer
- The rituals and routines that are essential to her creative process
- How she fills herself up and stays inspired
- What she tells her students when they face a fear of the blank page
- Why she views writing as an essential, cathartic process
- Why exploring our darkness is just as important as exploring our light
- The new creative projects she's currently working on
- What she's obsessed with that's making her life better
And lots more!
- Rebecca Campbell's sourcing meditation
- Francesca's writing classes
- The Weetzie Bat tote bag
- The Weetzie Bat cookbook
- Her shared poetry blog, Ultraviolet Tribe
- The leopard jacket and pink creepers
Where You Can Find Francesca:
Stay tuned for the next episode, where I'll be talking with the incredible Veronica Varlow!
Podcast mixed and edited by Matthew Starrs.