You might recognize Mara Wilson from her roles in Matilda, Mrs. Doubtfire, and Miracle on 34th Street.
She’s recently released a memoir called Where Am I Now? and we sat down to chat about the creative process, managing mental health issues, and our obsessions with teen dramas.
In this episode we talk about
- The freelance work and creative projects that Mara is spending her time on these days
- Why voiceover acting is the only kind of acting she wants to do these days
- What Mara’s creative process looks like
- How she decided what was going to go into her book
- The evolution of her love of storytelling and why telling our stories is so important
- How the media that we consume impacts how we think and express ourselves
- What makes a great story and how to tell one in conversation
- The difference between a story and an anecdote
- Reconstructing your memories in order to write memoir
- Mara’s journey to being diagnosed with OCD at age 12 and how her diagnosis impacted how she felt about herself
- Removing the expectation that we need to be happy all of the time
- How Mara is managing her anxiety within the difficult political climate