Amanda Duarte is the creator and host of the monthly show Dead Darlings, in which artists present work they’ve had to cut or abandon, at Judson Memorial Church in New York City.
She co-created the meme and movement #PussyGrabsBack, is the co-host of the new Cafe.com podcast Girl Friday, and is a regular at comedy and storytelling events throughout NYC.
Amanda and I do a fair bit of ranting about American politics in this episode but we also talk about what she’s learned about the creative process from hosting Dead Darlings, how we can take tangible action towards political change, and turning off the news as an act of self-care.
In this episode we talk about:
- The Dead Darlings show that Amanda hosts, in which artists present work they’ve had to cut or abandon
- What she has learned about the creative process as a result of the show
- The #NotMyPresident hashtag
- The tangible ways that we can stand up politically and help to create change
- Lots of ranting about the Trump administration
- Turning off the news and social media sometimes in order to recharge