While I'm laid up sick in bed (the expat curse continues) without enough brain power to properly string a sentence together, I wanted to share these inspiring words by Natalie Patterson. They're the kind of words that are worth reading over and over again until they're engrained in your mind as truth (because that's what they are). They're the kind of words you want to share with your mom and your brother and your closest friends - because while they might speak to things that many women have trouble remembering about themselves, they're really 10 things that every person should know. They're the kind of words that are worth living.
10 Things Every Female Should Know
by Natalie Patterson
1. You are a prayer in the most holy mouth. The space between clasped hands. A landscape so picturesque at any angle, you are a reminder that magic exists.
2. Oh, they will stop and stare, you most divine creature with unapologetic skin and fearless features. LEARN to take a compliment. Settle into being the center of things.
3. When you fall in love, let it be with a person who asks nothing of you. Your existence should be enough. If they do not kiss you urgently and often, find someone who understands that lips in the presence of love should ignite passion.
4. Keep a few great friends. When they tell you harsh truths, learn to listen for the love. Growth is necessary and annoying at times but look and you will always find the silver lining.
5. Buy the perfect shade of red lipstick. It, like the perfect black dress, are weapons. Use them at will.
6. Stop hiding your tampons. You are a woman. You bleed. Grown people know this. If he is afraid of menstruation, he is not prepared to be inside of you.
7. Do not apologize for existing. For being yourself. Apologize when you are not.
8. If you work hard, ask for a raise. Find your backbone and attach it to your standards. You deserve the money that correlates to how hard you work.
9. Feed yourself kind words, chocolate, quality people, random first dates, solitude, orgasms and books, You will need really, really good books. Live for the story.
10. If all else fails repeat after me: I am enough I am enough I most certainly am enough.