A few weeks ago a friend and I were talking about how rarely we get photos printed anymore. We've lost so many images to crashed hard drives and obsolete social media sites - it's a bit tragic! So when HuggleUp asked if I'd like prints made from my Instagram photos, I thought it was a great time to start getting physical copies of my photographs and incorporating some of them into fun DIY projects. HuggleUp works through an app that you can download to your phone to order prints of your photos as polaroids, squares, or magnets. You can pull images directly from your phone or through Instagram. They've even incorporated their own HuggleBot technology and if you want, their algorithm will analyse your Facebook data to identify meaningful events in the lives of your closest friends and family and generate customised gift ideas for them. It's an adorable concept that matches the company's super cute branding.
The prints themselves are gorgeous; the colours are vivid and they come on really thick, semi-matte cardstock. I'm really impressed with the quality and have been having a lot of fun finding different ways to use my photos.
If you want to get more of your photos printed, but aren't sure what to do with them, here are my favourite ideas:
- Create a geometric pattern on a notebook. Or try photo polka dots.
- Craft a personalised birthday card for a treasured friend.
- String them onto ribbon to create quirky bunting to hang around your room.
- Add colourful details with embroidery to make customised art that you can frame.
- Make a simple photo wall clock.
- Scrawl an encouraging quote across one and stick it to a bathroom mirror or leave it on a bus for someone to find.
- Stick one inside a card and mail it to your BFF.
- Create a mini scrapbook.
- Write your favourite quote on the back and leave it between the pages of a library book.
- Make photographic gratitude lists in your art journal.
- Stick them around the frame of your mirror and smile everyday while you're getting ready.
- Decoupage onto wooden coasters and frame them with sequins.
- Use them instead of name cards at your next dinner party.
- Wallpaper the side of your dresser - or an entire wall!
- Create an annual time capsule. We get so caught up on snapping our next photo, that we don't always look back on all of the wonderful memories we've captured. Print out your favourite photos from the past year and put them in a box or create a mini album. Look back on it a year later and marvel at all of the exciting moments you had.
- Scribble sweet nothings on the back and leave it under your lover's pillow.
- Save space for your favourite Instagram snaps in your travel journal & stick them in when you get back.
- Place a photo of a funny memory next to your credit card so that you can't help grinning whenever you open your wallet.
- Send one to your mom (she'll love it!)
- Collect mismatched vintage frames and cover a wall with memories.
How often do you get photos printed? Do you have any fun ideas for making sure they don't get stuck in the back of a drawer?